Versailles chess set
We recommend playing these pieces on a 24" board.
- King: Louis XIV the 'Sun King', based on Bernini's bust of Louis from the King's Grand Apartement (9" tall)
- Queen: Marie Therese
- Bishop: Cardinal Richelieu
- Knight: Jean Baptiste Colbert, the King's Chief Adviser
- Castle: The detail of Hercules from the Salon of Apollo designed by Charles le Brun
- Pawn: These are represented by a cherub from the allegorical paintings by le Brun of the Dauphin, Louis, rising from the ruins of Ancient Rome to assume the mantle laid down by his father
Hand-painted only, made in Somerset.