Chinese chess set
A small Chinese chess set of great charm and intricate detail, originally carved from Indian ivory in the 19th century for the Emperor Tao Kwang. Imported by the British Chess Company of Stroud in Gloucestershire at the turn of the century, the set is particularly unusual in having all eight pawns in different designs. We recommend playing these pieces on a 16" board.
- King: Emperor Chou En Lai (3.75" tall)
- Queen: Empress L'auze Meng
- Bishop: Priest of the Inner Temple
- Knight: Horse Mounted Captains of the Imperial Guard
- Castle: North West Tower of the Inner Sanctum
- Pawn: Various Buddha statues from the Inner Temple
Antique finish only, made in Somerset.