Versailles chess pieces
We recommend playing these pieces on a 24" board. (Board not included.)
- King: Louis XIV the 'Sun King', based on Bernini's bust of Louis from the King's Grand Apartement (9" tall)
- Queen: Marie Therese
- Bishop: Cardinal Richelieu
- Knight: Jean Baptiste Colbert, the King's Chief Adviser
- Castle: The detail of Hercules from the Salon of Apollo designed by Charles le Brun
- Pawn: These are represented by a cherub from the allegorical paintings by le Brun of the Dauphin, Louis, rising from the ruins of Ancient Rome to assume the mantle laid down by his father
Hand-painted only, made from cold-cast powdered marble and resin in Somerset.
Due to being a hand painted artisan product, every set will be unique and your set will vary slightly in colour from the pictures on our website.
These playing pieces look beautiful on our traditional wood boards. A board is not included.